Tonight I crossed a mask off my list that’s been there for months… I’ve been meaning to try honey as a cleanser/mask for quite a while, and I finally took the chance and put honey on my face.
Overall rating, on the pizza scale*: solid pepperoni. It was a pleasant surprise and would definitely do again.
*an arbitrary scale my friends and I made up in college for rating new music to put on the radio station. Burnt pizza is a negative, cheese pizza is pretty indifferent, pepperoni is a comfortable yes, bacon is an enthusiastic yes, and throwing on all kinds of excessive extra toppings is the MOST enthusiastic yes.
- 2 tsp raw, organic honey
- 2-4 drops of essential oils of choice
Source: inspired by this Youtube video
- I was naughty today and failed to wash my face before doing this mask, but partially on purpose because I wanted to see what the cleansing power of this method was (and I’m also lazy). The obligatory before photo:
- I wasn’t sure how to spread the honey on my face well, so I microwaved it for 30 seconds to make it thinner more liquid-y (note: 30 seconds was too long and I had to wait to put it on my face because it was too hot).
- Now the good part: I added essential oils. My two best friends these days are wild orange and cedarwood, so I added 2 drops of each and then we all posed for a portrait.
- Here’s where it got scary…applying to my face. I hadn’t thought far enough ahead to know how I was going to actually do the physical application, so I called an audible and grabbed a never-used foundation brush from my makeup drawer that was begging for a purpose. Putting the honey on my face was not how I expected it to be. I assumed it would create a sticky layer of paste on my face and harden like a clay mask, but it actually beaded up and stayed liquid and soft.
- After waiting about 10 minutes, I rinsed the honey off with a washcloth and warm water. Again, I expected sticky and was pleasantly surprised by something else. The end result was smooth, clean, and felt pretty similar to having just washed my face with my daily gentle cleanser.
Results: If I thought using honey instead of my daily face wash was feasible, I’d consider it for sure. I like the feeling my face has and I don’t even feel like I need to moisture too much afterward. I will definitely be incorporating this into my weekly routine, if not daily (eventually).
Don’t forget to try it yourself and let me know what you think! Tag your posts: #SCNFaceMaskTrials